Friday, February 19, 2010

Oatmeal & Bananas

Cooper had his first go 'round with "solid" food today. I swore I was gonna wait, but here we are a few days shy of 4 months old, trying out solids. Cooper has been very fussy lately, not sleeping well at night, and just hungry. Hungry all the time. So I decided what the heck. I bought a couple jars of babyfood (bananas and sweet potatoes) and some oatmeal cereal and stuck them in the pantry. Today when he had nursed for 30 minutes and was still fussing I decided it was time. I mixed up a little oatmeal and cracked open the jar of nanners. He totally did not get the spoon idea at first. So I scooped some oatmeal up on my finger and stuck it in his mouth.  A few funny faces later, he was catching on - mouth wide open as soon as he saw my finger.  Then I did the same with bananas.  He really wasn't sure about bananas at first.  Lots of squints and eye flutters, but he didn't spit it out.  He gobbled it right up.  Eventually I just mixed the two together and he ate it all.  He ate probably 2 1/2 Tbs this morning and roughly a 1/4 cup this afternoon.  He LOVES it.  Just eats and eats and eats.  I am pretty sure he would eat more if I offered it to him, but we will do a little each day and see how it goes...


Cooper tried to control the situation by holding on to the spoon, so I gave it to him once.  He gagged himself so I didn't let him have it anymore, but he had to "help" me get the spoon to his mouth almost every time...


I have videos of this too, but for whatever reason I cannot get them to load.  I created a YouTube channel and you can find it by the channel name "jackielease", search by my google email (jackie.l.lease@gmail.com) or just click on the video bar at the top of the blog (which is hopefully still working right and actually showing my videos and not random ones...)

Anyway.  Bananas and Oatmeal were a success, we will try more tomorrow and maybe sweet potatoes in a few days!! I will of course post our progress!!

1 comment: