Saturday, June 4, 2011

Girls on the Run

I ran my second 5K today, and It.  Was.  AWESOME!  The kids and I (and some friends too) ran the Girls on the Run 5K at Mt. Trashmore today.  There were several times I fought back tears as I saw these girls run.  They were tears of joy, of course, but tears of accomplishment for many of these young girls.  There were a around 1000 runners today, which is double last year.  I cannot wait to continue to support this program in the future. 

Girls on the Run (GOTR) is a national non-profit prevention program that encourages pre-teen girls to develop self-respect and healthy lifestyles through running.  Their curricula address all aspects of girls' development - their physical, mental, social, and spiritual well-being. (quoted from www.girlsontherun.org)



(From left to right: Jamie, Nicole, Me, Devon, and Katie)

Today also marked the first EVER race for two of my friends, Nicole and Jamie.  They are both hooked.  Just like I was!  Today we dubbed ourselves as "Moms on the Run!"

This race was not one that I had planned to crush any records, especially since there was a whole lot of walking to squeeze through the crowds, but it wasn't about speed or a finishing time today.  Today was about showing these young girls that anything is possible, even running 3+ miles with a stroller full of wiggly children :)



Jamie, Nicole, and Me
Jace (Buzz Lightyear), Cooper, and Ady


Me and Devon

1 comment: